7.03.2013

C: city cemetery.


The Nashville City Cemetery is the oldest continuously operated public cemetery in Nashville.  On March 9, 1820, the Mayor of Nashville and the Aldermen purchased from Richard Cross four acres of land located "on the plains, south of town, for its burying ground."  The cemetery opened on January 1, 1822. (source: Nashville City Cemetery Association)

Yesterday evening, Nate and I drove downtown to explore the City Cemetery. I drive by it often on my way to and from work, but despite having lived here for four years now, I had never stopped to check it out. Nate is learning to use his new camera for video, and I'm trying to figure out photography. So this was a good place for us to practice. We are amateurs, but we're learning. :)

City & Elm
Links and Post
Section marker. Notice how the photo is blurry at the top and bottom; I needed to increase the aperture.

Up in Madison, just north of here, there is a national cemetery that would be worth exploring too.

Tomorrow (July 4), I have the day off from work. Nate opens at Sbux, but he'll be off around 1. The annual Music City Hot Chicken Festival is tomorrow, and we are going to try to make it over to East Nashville to check it out. Then, of course, there are the downtown fireworks and all the activities going along with that. We've stayed out of downtown in the years past because there are so many people. Last year we were actually in Atlanta celebrating our first anniversary. We might stay home, but even though it is illegal to set off fireworks in Davidson County, I assure you there is always plenty of excitement on our dead end street.

Check out more sites to see in Nashville at my Nashville: A to Z page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© All rights reserved.