12.15.2009

cold water and christmas songs

It is cold outside today. You know what else is cold? My water. Last night I went to take a shower and I could not force myself to stand in the shower. The water was freezing. This is strange because it's been okay the last few weeks. The water that comes out of my sinks gets too-hot-to-stick-your-hands-in hot. I suppose it's time to crawl back up in my attic to adjust the hot water heater. It's just that the gauge on the water heater says: HOT -- HOTTER -- HOTTEST. C'mon. Give me a number. I moved it from "hot" to "hotter" the last time I was up there, and I hate to make it hottest because I'm wasting a bunch of energy keeping my water that hot all the time. Sheesh.

Today was the first production of LifeWay's Christmas musical, The Ornament. There are two more showings tomorrow. I went today and the auditorium was packed. There were a lot of guests there which is why I squeezed in and got a seat in the very back row just before the row filled up. I shared the fat seat with some guy who ended up standing in the back so an old lady with a walker who arrived late could sit down. There was a lady in front of me whose head blocked most of the performance. Really I just missed out on people singing; most of the drama happened on the sides of the stage so I could see okay if I leaned real close to the lady in the Christmas sweater to my right.

The musical was very good. The program was long (90 minutes). It was about this family at Christmas who gets together and they are all going through hard times. The grandmother died that year and so her husband is left alone, one of the sons got a divorce, another son is unemployed, and a third son moved to Nashville to make it big in music with no luck. That Nashville son sang a song at the end called "Christmas in Heaven." (If you click that link you can listen to it, but it's not the same as hearing this guy sing it in the musical.) Here are the lyrics:
December hasn't changed. This town looks the same.
They still light that tree in the city square.
There's red, white, and green shining everywhere.
And I wish you were here.
And I wonder: Is the snow falling down on the streets of gold?
Are the mansions all covered in white?
Are you singing with angels "Silent Night"?
I wonder what Christmas in heaven is like.
There's a little manger scene down on 3rd and Main.
I must have walked right by it a thousand times,
but I see it now in a different light.
'Cause I know you are there, and I wonder:
Are you kneeling with shepherds before Him now?
Can you reach out and touch His face?
Are you part of that glorious Holy Night?
I wonder what Christmas in heaven is like.
Is the snow falling down on the streets of gold?
Are the mansions all covered in white?
Are you singing with angels "Silent Night"?
I wonder what Christmas in heaven is like.
The slideshow they played during the song added a lot, too. The lady next to me was tearing up and I was about to lose it. It made me think of my grandma who died in February. I miss her but it also makes me think that Christmas in heaven must be pretty stinkin' awesome because she gets to spend it with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© All rights reserved.