9.23.2010

highlights.

This week has been a blur! On Monday, Nate had the day off so he surprised me by coming up to the office to take me to lunch. Also, insurance called me to say they've deemed my car a total loss. Then they gave me my options: cash and keep the car, or a little more cash and insurance takes my car. Nate and I bought our plane tickets back to Kansas in November. November 17-21. Looking forward to the trip!

For the past several weeks, every Tuesday night has been group dinner night. It's so great having Sam and Anne in town, and we get to see them several times a week. On Tuesdays, Anne and I have been taking turns cooking. One week, I cook for four; the next week, she cooks. Sam, Anne, Nate, and I enjoy each other's company before Kairos or Bible study. Last night I made brown sugar meatloaf, California blend vegetables, and crescent rolls. It's a lot of fun. Then we went to Bible study; the women are going through Beth Moore's study of Daniel while Nate and the rest of the guys do their own thing.

Tuesday as I left work at lunch, I noticed my car was shaking. It got worse at red lights so instead of driving home, I stayed at the office. I did drive it home after work and it was a little scary. I popped the hood and everything underneath was dancing. I called insurance and told them I'd like a rental car, so they set me up with a reservation at Enterprise. I don't know what's going on in this city, but every Enterprise (including the airport!) was out of cars!

Nate took me to work on Wednesday and after persistent calls to Enterprise, I got a co-worker to drop me off there after work. (I know their slogan is "We'll pick you up," but it's not totally true. They won't pick you up if you are 10 miles away, or if they are really busy.) So I decided I'd just go sit in there and let them stare at me until they gave me a car. Fortunately I went up to the counter and right away they pointed to a car in the parking lot and said I could drive it. A Mercury Grand Marquis. It's a boat, but it drives well. V8! It has some get-up and a CD player. I had to retrain myself to get out the driver's side because for two weeks I've been used to scooching over to the passenger side to exit. I'm hoping to find a new (used) car this weekend. Leaning toward a Nissan Versa or Nissan Sentra. One Sentra we found in my price range is red … I think I would like any color except red.

Last night was the autumn equinox and a full moon. They call it a Super Harvest moon because it's not very often that a full moon falls on the first day of autumn. You could also see Mercury. Nate and I went to Centennial Park to walk the loop and throw his Frisbee in the moonlight. I could barely keep my eyes open by 9 p.m. So I guess it's pretty appropriate that I'm driving a Grand Marquis to compliment my old-lady sleep habits. ;) 

Tonight my friend Anne wants to practice doing some portrait photography because she's going to take some senior pics for someone, so Nate and I are going to be her models. :) I made caramel apples last night using honeycrisp apples, which are literally the size of grapefruits. I'm taking them to Sam and Anne's tonight; we're going to watch the latest episode of The Office—the final season begins tonight.

A beautiful blur.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to get a rental! And that whole "we'll pick you up" scam makes me mad, only because when you ask about it, and they tell you the 10 mile rule, they're not even apologetic about it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.