2.01.2011

runnin', runnin'

via
I've always kind of wanted to be a runner. I think I like the idea of running (in the same way I like the idea of writing a book or painting my walls or reading all the books I bought that are just sitting on my bookshelf … sounds great in theory), and sometimes when people meet me they say, "Are you a runner?" And I have to shamefully say, "No. I was a sprinter and jumper in high school, though! And I have good genes and a decent metabolism."

Our P.E. teacher made us run 1.5 miles twice a month and it wasn't bad, but I was in a lot better shape then. I even enjoyed running the mile in volleyball practice every week, but that's because after 7 minutes, you were done. It wasn't a lot of time to think about whether or not you were enjoying yourself. My biggest problem with running in the past seems to be boredom … I don't know what to think about and so I usually think, Okay, I want to stop. I'm ready to stop. Yeah, I should stop.

I've started a running program called Couch to 10K. It's 13 weeks and apparently at the end of it, I'm supposed to be able to run 6.21 miles. And I know a couple other people at work who are doing it (like almost done with it) and I kind of want to be in that club. Kind of really. I want to be a runner.

So I started the first workout on Sunday, about 2.5 miles of walking and running. I made a CD mix of upbeat songs so when I run, I'm saying the lyrics in my head instead of thinking about running. Sunday's workout felt good, but I was ready to get off after 34 minutes on the treadmill. At work yesterday I started feeling sick and by the time I drove home at 3 p.m., I felt like I was going to throw up or pass out; I didn't know what was wrong with me. I got home and Nate was there and I laid down. Nate got some dinner for me and after eating I felt miraculously better.

I was telling one of my coworkers, who is a runner, that I wanted to start this 13-week program, and she said, "Oh yeah, I know a guy who did that and he lost 60 pounds!" I'm pretty sure I would die if I lost 60 pounds … so, that's a pretty good deal. I become a runner and I get to eat a lot. Win. Win.

3 comments:

  1. I just read this post and am motivated to try it! Now if I can just get to the gym ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! My doctor told me I need to start running, but I really didn't know how to work up to it. I have never been a runner (or any other kind of athlete for that matter), and I'm really in terrible shape. Maybe this will work for me! I'll just have to figure out how to fit those longer runs into my crazy mommy schedule. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started running too! You should run in a 5K on April 2... it's less than 13 weeks, but of course it's half the mileage and a great workout. Extra bonus - it's for a great cause. Courtney Baker and I tried to convince Jeff Land to do it too! :) http://www.meredithteasley.com/2011/01/off-couch.html

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.