8.06.2009

nearly-free lunch

During my numerous hours on the road today, I had a lot of time to think. And that included coming up with an easy lunch option. Because when you're saving for a house, you can't go out and spend $7 for a burrito at a Qdoba or Chipotle whenever you want. So when I got back to Madison, I stopped in at Kroger and picked up a few things.

10 flour tortillas: $2.25
10 oz. can black beans: $0.69
1 package Kroger brand rice and sauce (Spanish Rice flavor): $0.89
10 oz. can pinto beans: $0.50
(On sale! And an excellent source of fiber and iron! Bonus points.)
Total: $4.33

When I got home, I cooked up the rice and added the black beans and pinto beans. After microwaving the tortillas to get them soft, I rolled up 10 burritos, wrapped them in foil, put 9 in baggies in the freezer, and ate one for dinner. Now I have 10 meals ready for 43 cents a piece. Sure they aren't as big as the $7 burritos, but at this price, you can afford to eat two.

d

No comments:

Post a Comment

© All rights reserved.