10.26.2009

a night out.

I've made a ton of progress on The List today. It's been crazy; so when Cheryl called me to ask if I wanted to use her extra ticket to Silent Comedy Classics with Organist Tom Trenny at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, well, I couldn't think of a better way to spend the evening. Here are the details:

Organist Tom Trenney returns for this hugely popular annual event featuring his improvised accompaniment at the magnificent Martin Foundation Concert Organ. At this year’s concert Trenney will provide the musical backdrop for two silent comedy classics. In One Week, newlyweds Buster Keaton and Sibyl Seely try their best to build a house from a do-it-yourself kit, while Big Business stars Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy as Christmas tree salesmen who take an argument with a prospective customer just a little too far. Hilarity and destruction ensue. Audience members are encouraged to shout and cheer along with the onscreen action, so come down to the Schermerhorn for what promises to be a roaring good time!


I can't say I've ever really been a big fan of silent movies (I'm a fan of color and sound), but this guy played the organ as an accompaniment during the films, and I have just one word: hil.ar.i.ous. He was really impressive and between the two films played some Bach and music to Shel Silverstein poems "if Silverstein had been a composer instead of a poet." Good times. The symphony center is beautiful, inside and out.



photo credit: Travis Hightower

No comments:

Post a Comment

© All rights reserved.