10.15.2009

thoughts on today's events

I resisted the urge to repeatedly update my Twitter today. I saved it for this post. Here are my thought's on today's happenings.

Balloon Boy - This at-home science experiment of a balloon took off, supposedly with a 6-year-old boy in it. Everyone was tracking it on live TV. The boy's brother had said he saw the boy get in the balloon.

I thought, "All the other 6-year-old boys are jealous. Their parents never let them to anything fun!" Decided against posting this, in case the balloon crashed and the boy died. Then I'd feel a bit like a jerk for making fun of the situation. News update: balloon lands and boy is nowhere to be found. Now you really can't joke because of the possibility that he fell out of the balloon. One of my friends posted on her Facebook: "Look under his bed! He's probably hiding!" Lo and behold, the boy was located this evening hiding in a box in the family's attic. I suppose if I were six and set off my dad's science project, the guilt and fear of punishment might drive me to hide in the attic, too.

Focused at Work - We've been experiencing "The Move" at work the last couple of weeks. I moved Monday, so I've been in my new (and slightly larger) office all week. Still no window, but I'm working on it. ;) Jeff has been gone at a conference all week. Cheryl's office is on the other side of the floor and she was gone today. So things have been kind of quiet and distraction-free. This means I've been super-productive reading through Winter 2010-11 leader and learner guides. First edit -- always the most difficult because there is so much to fix.

I was sitting at my computer, staring at the screen and reading and editing for so long, barely moving, that the motion-sensored light in my office shut off. This requires me to stand and wave my arms around to get it back on. Then I know it's time to take a break and walk the stairs or something. Today I discovered I could use my Holman Bible Dictionary (4.3 pounds) when I take a break to do some flys, bicep curls, and tricep exercises. Who needs free weights to keep toned arms?

That's What She Said. I've got to give a lot of credit to our writers; they do a good job and I'm sure it's not easy to put together all the pieces of the curriculum. And it's always easier to notice things when you've got a fresh set of eyes looking at it. This afternoon right before 3pm, I ran across an activity for boys that left me thinking, "That's what she said!" Over and over. Sooo funny. (I'm not posting the questions on here, but if you've seen The Office and get the joke, they are hilarious.)

Domestic Endeavors Yesterday it felt like my routine was turning into this: 1. Go to work and anticipate 3 o'clock so I can go home. 2. Go home and wait for 6 a.m. so I can go back to work. I thought it might be a good idea to start being more productive with my evenings. I thought I might go for a walk when I got home, but it was raining. So I started to clean. I cleaned the kitchen. I organized and moved things and was proud to see the progress.

Tonight when I got home, I went through the refrigerator and trashed 1. everything that was moldy; 2. everything that had been in there since I moved in; 3. everything that had expired (most more than a month ago). This included a lot of produce which had liquefied into an unidentifiable lump of nastiness in the bottom drawer, milk that expired two weeks ago, and a lemon that had turned green and brown and white.

I washed the fridge drawers, vacuumed the front room, cleaned the bathroom, emptied the trash, sorted the recycling and put in my backseat to drop off tomorrow, just in time to pull hot oatmeal chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. Um, why am I single? Haha, just kidding. But seriously, I'm pretty proud of myself when it comes to these domestic endeavors. And I am bound and determined to learn what I can about vehicle maintenance and, in the near future, household repairs.

[[12 days until closing: October 28]]

1 comment:

  1. Boy am I ever grateful for your domestic endeavors! The house looks great and those cookies were AMAZING. - Rach

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.