6.03.2010

adulthood.

... and other things that sound great when you're a kid but turn out to not really be extremely fun.

When I was in school, I could not wait to enter the "real world," where I wouldn't have to take any more tests or write any more long research papers about things no one cares about anymore or sit through 90-minute discussions about early American literature or Irish poetry or the origin of the English language. I think it was a "the grass is always greener on the other side" mindset. Everyone dreams of being somewhere besides where they are. And for a lot of people not yet graduated, that somewhere is adulthood.


There ought to be a manual: a hardcover waterproof collection of diagrams and instructions on tackling the things you never even though about when you lived with your parents.
  • Insurance. For everything. And it's not cheap.
  • Relocation. Get used to not seeing your friends or family except for a few times a year.
  • Bills. You'll learn real quick to stop taking long showers.
  • Correcting bills. Stand up for yourself and call customer service when companies inevitably overcharge you.
  • Appointments. Yes, you still need to go to the dentist. But your mom won't call and set up the appointment for you anymore. I used to hate doing this, but it's okay now.
  • Responsibility. Being an adult means you're held to a higher standard. Follow through and own up.
  • Big decisions. Finding a job, buying a house, making a budget, choosing benefits.
  • Meeting people. When you move to a new city, you get to start over with making friends. And suddenly you wish your parents had moved around a lot when you were a kid so you'd have experience at starting new relationships.
  • Cooking. I miss my parents' cooking. I'm not a great cook. My meals are lame, like cereal or homemade burritos eaten standing up. So, if a Nashville family wants to adopt me I think I would benefit from a quality meal every now and then.
  • Marriage and kids. Blip, blip, blip ... Nope, that one's not even on my radar yet.
  • Lots of little tasks. Getting your tag renewed on your vehicle every year, becoming a resident of another state, shopping around for the best insurance, maintaining a house (cleaning, yard work, appliance care), dealing with your car when it breaks down on you, and much more.

Some of the "real world" stories you hear as a child are true. You actually can eat ice cream for breakfast and stay up as late as you want. Except when you know you have to get up at 5 a.m. for work and your metabolism has slowed, you won't.

I don't hate adulthood, and I don't necessarily miss being a kid. I just think it's not quite what I expected. It's a little better than what I expected. But no one tells you everything. There is no manual. I came to Nashville and had to just start figuring things out myself. But some things I can't figure out, so I keep my parents on speed dial.

You mean I have 55 more years of this?

3 comments:

  1. ha..ha..that's truly a very good one.. :D
    I miss my mom's food..a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a true post!

    And don't forget, now we have to write business proposals and emails that tell ppl what they don't want to hear, but politely. We have to sit through 90 minute meetings that may or may not pertain to the work we'll actually be doing once the meeting is over.

    Heh. But eating Ice Cream for breakfast is pretty sweet. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire you for pulling up and going on your own at such an early age. (Yes, 22 is an early age, especially when you are 50). I never had the gumption (nerve) to go anywhere once I got out of school. Love my small town of less than 1000, but as I look back I wish I had ventured out more, married later, and saw more of this great big world. My passion now, the law. Not to be a lawyer, maybe a paralegal, but at 50 (theres that age again) I feel I missed the boat on it.
    Follow your heart and go places and experience this world. You are at a great start & couldnt have picked a better place than Nashville.
    Good luck & God bless.
    Tammy (copperaxel)

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.