5.02.2010

may day flood: day 2.

Click HERE to view photos of the flooding in Nashville and other areas in Middle Tennessee.

Stay up to date with the latest news at WSMV.com
House destroyed by floods: http://twitpic.com/1kc1mx
8th Ave. downtown Nashville. Water still rising: http://twitpic.com/1kcj06
8 confirmed deaths.

I woke up around 6 a.m. to tornado sirens. The rain has stopped for now, but the forecast shows it will start back up. Hour-by-hour forecast shows 100% chance at 1 p.m., continuing through the evening and into overnight hours. It is anticipated to stop by 6 a.m. Monday morning

05/02/10 - 7 a.m. radar picture
12:30 p.m. - Rain is coming down in sheets. Across the street the water is starting to come up to the road -- the yards are well submerged though I don't think any water is getting in the houses. Mayor Karl Dean has declared a county wide state of emergency, so metro officials will start requesting state assistance. Things are looking real bad for so many people. I'm still feeling confident about my house, but knowing there is about 17 more hours of rain expected, it's hard to imagine what things will look like tomorrow morning.

9:45 a.m. - Well, nice. My computer is dying and only the left 1/3 of the screen works. I managed to fish over my hiding Internet connection window to connect, but updating is difficult.Water is still falling from the sky. News photos are unbelievable. 28,000 people now without power.  

The Vanderbilt Children's Hospital downtown is flooding and worrying about electricity and oxygen failure for patients. Patients from the 1st/2nd floors are being moved up. Obviously a huge problem. WSMV is reporting this story. Adult emergency is having the most problems. Flooding in parking garage, but all patients seem to be okay.

Cars that are stopped on I-40 E where the road is flooded are basically stuck. They aren't going anywhere and they won't go anywhere unless the road floods more then they will be rescued. So basically they are waiting for things to recede or waiting to lose their cars.

The water in my neighborhood is starting to rise. I think my house is fine, but the houses across the street from me are starting to worry me. You can't see their yards, and their cars are in water up to mid-tire. The water is up to Margaret's front porch! :(

We are hoping for an hour or two break in the rain around 1 p.m. Hopefully that will give things a chance to recede.


8:45 a.m.
- 150 water rescues so far. Some people are not listening to the news. I'm working on rescheduling my interview with Bryce Avary because even though it would be sweet to talk to him in person, I'm not willing to float my car for it, or be on the road and just get in the way of rescue personnel. I-40 E around downtown is shut down due to flooding.

The news is saying: Stay home. Stay home. Stay home. My yard is pretty saturated from yesterday so this morning's rain is making things pretty squishy out there. NES reports that 18,000 people are without power. 30+ roads closed. The rain is coming down like no other. I have to turn my TV up to hear it over the pounding rain. Nashville Farmers Market reports that Rosa L. Parks Blvd is now Rosa L. Parks River. This is insane. We're watching history here.

7:30 a.m. - It's raining. Torrential rain. Lots of lightning and thunder. The weather man (a preacher's kid) just told everyone to consider not going to church this morning. A news reporter is saying that water has receded from I-24 and crews are frantically working to move the cars and semis from the area. 17,600 homes without power. A map shows lots of people in my area are without power, but I'm glad I'm not one of them.

7:00 a.m. - Lots of lightning and thunder. Currently no rain, but the Doppler radar shows that it's coming. 1500 homes in Brentwood are without water due to major water line breaks. Officials are working to restore it, but they report it could take several days. Winds here (South Nashville/Nolensville/Grassmere Zoo) are starting to pick up.

Keep checking back throughout the day for updates. I've rescheduled my interview with Bryce Avary (The Rocket Summer) so I am not going to be trying to get downtown tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I really hope it stops raining for you soon! Here in Germany the sun is shining and it's hard to believe that you are having such bad weather. Fingers crossed some of our sunshine will make its way over to you pretty soon :) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.