5.24.2010

connect.

The day flew by at work today. It helped that I kept busy. I'm pretty much in love with Google Apps. The mail, calendar, sites, docs, and chat makes my job so much easier. Hopefully we will be able to optimize our Google resources to better communicate with our writers and to make our lives easier. What's not to love about that?

This afternoon I bought a 2-year membership to the Nashville Zoo. The cost of admission for an adult is $14! This is why I've never been before. But with my membership, I can go and bring a friend for free! Unlimited visits in two years. If a friend and I go just four times in two years, then the membership is a bargain. I live about a mile from the zoo so it will be fun to be able to go over there to walk after work and on weekends. And when people can visit they can go with me for free.

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless GodThis morning I got some information about a women's small group that meets on Thursdays. I'm going to go check it out this week. Right now the group is working through Francis Chan's Crazy Love. Jennifer has the book so I'm trying to get a start on it. I've read Chan's Forgotten God and I've heard great things about this book as well.

Tonight the Hands On Nashville organization and the Nashville volunteers are being featured tonight (right now) on NBC's Nightly News: Making a Difference segment with Brian Williams.

Thursday will mark my two weeks without Facebook ... the no-turning-back point. I could log in right now and get everything back but after 14 days the site shuts my account for good. I'm not going to lie, it's a little difficult to resist checking it. But I never really used it to communicate. My close friends know my e-mail and phone number. I still blog and Tweet. I feel like I've achieved some level of freedom by closing my account ... right? I'm an adult now. Facebook was designed for college kids. Sure, some of my high school classmates will have babies and my distant friends will get engaged and I will be oblivious, but I think I will live.

I'm leaving for Kansas City in 11 days! I can't wait. I need to book some more flights; I have a Southwest Rapid Rewards account -- if I fly eight round trips in 24 months, I get a free flight. I'm coming up on one year and have flown four times (3x to KC and once to Philly). Nashville to KC is one of the cheapest flights ever. I have a friend in LA I want to go visit with my free flight ... though I would love love love to see Seattle but I don't know anyone there and having a free place to stay/someone to drive you around helps so much.

Pack your suitcase,

2 comments:

  1. Is the Nashville Zoo large? I love our local zoo, even though it is just recently a member of the zoo/aquarium society thingy & not that big. It has elephants & giraffes & all the normal zoo animals. I love to go w/ my nephews & nieces! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy Love as been on my TBR list for a while. It looked really good. I recently closed my Myspace account because I never used it. Of course, I did create a new account, but that was only because my cousin and I use Myspace IM to chat whenever we're online. As for the zoo, I would love to get a membership to my local zoo. It's only five minutes from my apartment. I love going there. The structure and landscaping and animals are so beautiful and peaceful - even the lions and tigers who really just laze around the whole time. :) Hope you have a safe flight!

    ReplyDelete

© All rights reserved.